Monday, December 8, 2008

Remembering the Rain

memoir-monday1-web


As soon as I stepped out of the house drops of rain began to fall.
oh no, not today I thought as I walked back in and told my cousin Anissa to take her bathing suit off.
"Can we still go?" she asked.
"Sorry, but it's raining," her mom replied.
She ran outside to check for herself. The water that had gathered in front of the door splashed up on her legs. She returned leaving muddy footprint on the wooden floor.
"Can we still go?" she pleaded to her father.
Disappointment grew inside of me as I sat at the window and watched the rain ruin another day of our Christmas vacation.
"Let's make today fun!" my aunt shouted and she fumbled through the game closet and pulled out Monopoly.
"I don't feel like playing. I want to go to the beach," I said.
"let's make the best out of the rainy day," she pleaded.
My cousins and I reluctantly sat on the floor around the coffee table.
The rain continued to fall outside sending a warm humid breeze through the window.
"It's your turn," Aunt Bea said.
I moved the small piece unwillingly. I could hear the thunder outside as I pushed the shoe along the board.
"Go to jail," Anissa yelled.
"Today is going to be even worse than I thought," I muttered.
"Oh no!" Kyle Shrieked.
I looked down and saw that someone had finally landed on my property. The real estate that was going to redeem me and perhaps allow me to walk away with a mint. Boardwalk, and it has a hotel. I smiled and thought that today just might be a good day after all.
"Sorry, you can't collect while you're in jail!" Kyle exclaimed triumphantly, waving his money in the air.



This afternoon as my kids dressed for swimming lessons, the heavy down pour that signals rainy season is here, showed up to deter our plans. Remembering that day from my childhood, I resisted grabbing a board game. Instead, I let them keep on their bathing suits and go outside to play in the rain. Who says Christmas doesn't come early?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warm Christmas...I just can't imagine! My Australian brother-in-law called home one year and the temperatures were exactly opposite: -30c in Ontario, +30c in New South Wales.

snowflakes said...

That is awesome!!! I love playing in the rain!
Isn't funny how memories come back to us?
Thanks for sharing!

GirlGriot said...

I love that you let them play in the rain ... and that you're in a place where it's warm enough for them to be out in their swimsuits today!

Thanks for your comment over on my page. Aren't Memoir Mondays fun? I love the push to find a way to tell all these stories.

Anonymous said...

I love that you let your kids out to play in the rain. Awesome!

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger