Never Limit Yourself because of others' limited imagination; Never limit others because of your own limited imagination.-Mae Jemison
Has anyone ever told you that your expectations are too high? Or that you should fly below the radar? Or that being pretty is not to your benefit when it gets you noticed? These are some things that I have heard and not from the vast majority of random folk, but from employers who for whatever reason are not secure or confident enough with themselves and choose to project.
I was thinking about these remarks and began examining them to see if they had any merit, when one of my students walked over and handed me a note that read:
I worked on my essay and I took your advice on the things that I needed to revise . It really transitions better and my supports are much stronger too. My partner and I used the rubric to see what else was missing and tonight I am going to address those points.
On my writer's notebook I have the quote, "I will end the tyranny of the status quo." You asked me what it meant and now because of you I know.
Thanks for making me a better student and a even better person.
Your student,
________
So to those who like to fly below the radar, lower their expectations, or just go about life being ordinary, I say, "go"; but as for me, I will continue to rise above the fray!


6 comments:
I recognize the Jemison quote. Thanks. You always share lessons I need and appreciate. You are amazing. I'm glad you chose to be a teacher. Our children are better for it.
I think our lives should be extraordinary!
Thanks for sharing your confession today. It was excellent.
How lucky your students are to have an instructor like you!
oh, that's such a compliment from your student! and yes, they are lucky to have a teacher like you.
and yes, it took me awhile to get over my discomfort of being "not ordinary". i used to play small but now i realized that i should never apologize for the things that i've achieved and the things that i'm capable of achieving.
thanks for sharing!
What a wonderful student to give you that note and what a feeling it must have been to read it. I am working with my daughter to be her own person and do her thing - realistic expectations of herself but without worrying about taking risks and giving it her all to make it happen. I love dancing to the beat of a different sax myself!!
Love this quote too!
Tisha, this is so wonderful! Hurray for you for being who you are and not trying to hide your glorious light under a bushel!
Thank you all for your support on my confession.
I am glad that there are people out there who are not satisfied with mediocrity.
And Exception, I am glad that you are teaching her to be her own person, but please help me out, what is an unrealistic expectation?
Post a Comment