Friday, May 29, 2009

Poetry Friday- Rita Dove



I posted a Rita Dove poem last Friday and have been reading her poems ever since. Here is another one that we probably can all relate to. I know I can! (Before I got married of course!)


Golden Oldie

I made it home early, only to get
stalled in the driveway-swaying
at the wheel like a blind pianist caught in a tune
meant for more than two hands playing.
The words were easy, crooned
by a young girl dying to feel alive, to discover
a pain majestic enough
to live by. I turned the air conditioning off,
leaned back to float on a film of sweat,
and listened to her sentiment:
Baby, where did our love go?-a lament
I greedily took in
without a clue who my lover
might be, or where to start looking.

Copyright © 1995 Mississippi Review. Online Source

For an oldie but goodie click here

2 comments:

susan said...

You can never have too much, Rita. You pick the best poems.

Thinking Aloud said...

Thanks susan,
come back and take a listen to an oldie but goodie!

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger