Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer Madness










As a student I couldn't wait for the school year to come to an end. Summer vacation meant:
Six Flags Great Adventure,
Grand Army Plaza Library,
Prospect Park and
Riis beach.

Summer was staying out until the street light came on,
double dutch and Italian ices;
It was trips to Virgina and family reunions;
tank tops and denim shorts,
open hydrants and P.A.L

Summer was music and mayhem,
magic and mystery.
Summer was sitting on the balcony watching the city lights
and drinking Pepsi from the bodega.
It was pink jelly shoes and cornrows,
sunflower seeds and baby powder,
block parties and street fairs.

Summer was what we waited all year for.

As a teacher I still can't wait for summer vacation, but now it is to create the memories for my kids.




Click here for the sounds of summer in Brooklyn.
Click on the icon for More Memoir Monday posts at TwoWritingTeachers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lost that thrill for summer vacation. I now work my hardest in the month of July but you brought my summer excitement back to me,
Thanks!

Thinking Aloud said...

Blk Drama,
I hope that you can squeeze in some time to stop and smell the salt water :)

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger