Friday, March 26, 2010

What a Mother Does: The Cameron Chronicles




Cameron, The check is in the mail for your shopping, or lunch or to get your hair done.
And I sent an extra forty so that your weekends are eventful-how we live for eventful weekends.
I tried to call you last night but I realized that it was too late. It is spring again: and the rain comes, and the tears fall, and the clocks went ahead, and love is in the air and now you have no time.
For weeks now as I hurry to work, to the gym, to the grocery store and back I think of you. Finals are around the corner and your S.A.T. has been taken.You wait
to find out about summer employment
the need to earn your own money,
to be your own woman.
Woman,
it is hard to think of you as that
but you are no longer a child.
You said you ran into My friend Anna the other day and you sat and conversed with her.
I remember when
you couldn't be bothered with the niceties.
My, how you have matured.
But there are moments, talking, when I realize how much we are alike:
your expressions, and your demeanor.
Those times I am gripped with a longing to hold you and keep you
and protect you from the world
the harsh world that you are about to enter.
And at that same moment
I know that I must let go.

You will leave
and I will love you.

No comments:

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger