Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hair Raising


Lisa Bonet



Slice of Life #12



Several months ago I decided to forgo the bouncing and behaving blow-out, and the wet and wild waves, for a new hair style. A style that was easier and required no daily spritzing, damaging conditioners, chemicals or heat for maintenance. I decided that I would lock my hair.
Many of you may know it as dreadlocks, but believe me there is nothing to fear. In fact, my locks look really good! But what I have come to realize is that it is not easier : (1) I still have to do a lot of fixing; I can't leave the house unless I look perfectly coiffed and (2) the style comes with a lot of questions.

Day One:
"What are you doing with you hair?"
"Locking it." I stated. There was a look of confusion.
"You mean-"
I didn't let her finish. "Locking it, like Lisa Bonet." Still confusion. "Like Whoopie Goldberg." I was sure she would know then, but still the quizzical stare."Like Johnny Dep in Pirates of the Caribbean."
"Oh!" she said. Finally making the connection.

Day Two:
"But what happens when you want a blower?"
"I won't want a blower."
"But what about when you do?"
"I won't!"
Completely confused she stared at me. I guess that is to be expected in a country where the women look forward to their weekend "Blowers" and parties.

Day Three:
"But do you have extensions"
"What?"
"I mean like Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan?"
"No, they are not extensions;It is my own hair. They are called locks"
"So they can't come out?"
"No!"

Today:
"So, can you wash your hair?"

I started to answer, but instead, I just got up and walked away.

I thought these types of questions ended in college.



3 comments:

Kimberly and Ed said...

It always amazes me the questions people ask.

susan said...

Welcome to the fold my sister with locs. lol

Nope, even after college. I never think to ask anyone why they burn, dye, cut, add hair. Why is simply allowing my own hair to grow with little manipulation a mystery? Do I wash my hair? I used to get angry but after years, the question just sounds silly.

rebecca said...

I love the look of locks. I think it sexy. And I don't care if I get locks that look just like Bonet's, my FACE is still not Bonet's! That woman is so gorgeous she makes every other girl look like a plain jane. *sigh.* =)

BTW you have the BEST "about me" bio that I've ever read. Loved it. You should put that on your header. It is excellent.

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger