Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Student's Slice






Slice of Life Day 11


Yesterday we sent home progress reports with the students. So, as the students entered today they dropped off their signed reports and took out their materials for the day.


They put their Writing Challenges notebooks on the desk and opened them the Slice of Life Stories. The students grabbed their pens, and then begin their gallery walk. They sat, read and commented on three Slices (like we do every day). They then read one aloud from each table.


Here is one that made me laugh:

Slice of Life Day 11
Super 99

Mum, Grandad, Auntie Yvonne and I parked the car at the Super 99.
"Can we get Dunkin Donuts please?" I asked Mum.
"No!" she replied.
"Why not?" I prodded.
"Because of your grades...B students don't get Dunkin Donuts."

I felt so angry inside, but I still tried to be nice. I went around to Mum's door and opened it for her. She didn't say thanks. "You are welcome." I mumbled under my breath.
I felt like ever since yesterday's progress reports my family has been treating me like a second class citizen.

We walked into Super 99, and I dug into my pocket for for my list. It read: chips, and soda, and Dunkin Donuts.
"Mum, we always get Dunkin Donuts when we come here." I reminded her.
"Yeah, I know. But that was when you got A's." She moaned.
For the past night all Mum and Grandad have have been talking about was my progress report."You have to get A's this, and B's aren't good enough that." And stories of people who have failed and succeeded depending upon their grades. She went on for the entire night, blabbering random stuff about A's and B's.
Now that I am a second class citizen, or in Grandad's term,"Second Grade" I just walk around miserably. I just dread them telling me yet another time how A's are preferred (as though I didn't already know).

Then, to top it off, Mum tells me failures don't go to Disney on vacation.
"So, if I don't get an A I can't go to Disney?" I asked, "That's child abuse!"

I guess that now I have to get A's, not just for Disney, but so that they can shut-up about this matter!


Re-printed with the Student's permission.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had one today that included sounds, dialogue, and code-switching. It was great!

Thanks for sharing one of your students' slices! So nice to see!

Anonymous said...

So, do you feel at all compelled to give the kid "A"'s so he can go to Disney? This would giveme so much anxiety. Will the kid hate me if he doesn't ear A's? I had a kid once who was only going to be allowed to have a birthday party if she had straight A's. My guess is she won't have a birthday party until well beyond university.

Thinking Aloud said...

He is an "A" student. He is a good reader and writer; he just had an off month.

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger