Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My City, My Life...











I gave my students a reflection letter last week and they handed it back today. It asked for: their goals, their accomplishments and advice for me as a teacher. I was not surprised to see that most said that they had achieved their goals due to my teaching and their efforts; I was not amazed to see that they felt accomplished as readers and writers due to the strategies taught and the ability to confer with me and their partners; I was not astounded to see that they appreciated my no nonsense way of teaching and the comic relief that I provide. I was however, startled to see that that many of them thought that I talked rather "loudly". It is true, I don't whisper and I believe in projecting; but I have never though of myself as a loud person. Not until I caught a segment on CNN by Candace Bushnell, the writer of Sex and the City. She said," New York is a loud city, and New Yorkers are loud and they talk fast." She also said that New Yorkers don't have hobbies, they have passions. So I guess that as a passionate educator I can be loud and high spirited; I can be boisterous and head strong; and I can be vivacious and orally visual.

I must admit, at first I was a bit taken aback by the comments, but Heck, you can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl!!!!

And you can never accuse me of being a lowtalker.




Click here for the sounds of New york

Click the icons for more Slice of Life stories and Confession Tuesdays

2 comments:

BK said...

I might be from Upstate New York but I'm loud too. I used to talk with power to keep everyone up and working with me. And I think passionate teachers have to shout it to the world.
Loud's good!
Bonnie

January said...

I think it must be better to project your voice in a classroom than not. Anything you can do to keep your students' attention is a good thing.

The world needs more passionate and dedicated teachers like you!

(And thanks for the kind words on my blog. I really appreciate it.)

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger