Monday, February 9, 2009

Farewell Leonidis





















No retreat, no surrender. That is Spartan law. And by Spartan law, we will stand and fight … and die.


Last weekend I went horse back riding and my English Bulldog-Leonidis-decided that he would follow along. I didn't think that it was a bad idea; he could use the exercise. Well, half way to my destination I looked back and noticed that his gait was labored and he was panting. I dismounted and sat next to him. With much effort, Leonidis put his head on my lap and let his purple tongue fall from his mouth. He then looked up at me as if to say,"It won't be long now."

I gave him water and he seemed to breathe easier. We sat for about an hour and then slowly walked back- horse,dog and I. Leo paced back and forth looking for a cool spot to lay on the beach watching the in-coming tide.


The following morning I didn't hear him tapping at the door or running up and down the deck. I went out to look for him and found him stretched out under the tree from the night before.

Leo was at peace.

My husband buried him not far from the beach before the kids got up. When they asked, we told them that maybe he walked back to the other side of the island.
They couldn't bear the death of another pet.

3 comments:

susan said...

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Anonymous said...

I hope it made you feel better to spend time writing about this experience.
Bonnie

GirlGriot said...

So sorry to hear about Leo, but what a beautiful passing. He was clearly both happy and well-loved. A lucky, lucky dog.

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger