Slice of Life-Day 4"Do you want to hear what I wrote for my end term project?" Cameron asked.
"Sure, read it to me."
She read and the melodic words danced in my head; her details created a vivid mind movie, and her use of refrains and metaphors were ever so subtle. It was all there: exposition, problem, rising action, climax, falling action and a seamless dénouement.
I sat speechless. It was truly a work of art.
"I got a B+," she stated with anger and disbelief in her voice.
Now I was literally speechless. "A what?" I asked
My daughter, the daughter of a writing teacher got a B+ in English.
"Why did you get a B+ ?" I asked.
"I don't know," she sulked. I followed all of the requirements of the assignment and met all deadlines. I even conferred with her and followed her suggestions for revision."
"So then how did you get a B+," I asked again?
"I don't know," she insisted.
"Ask your teacher for an explanation," I demanded as I hung up the phone.
Today she returned with an answer:
Her teacher said that no one got an A. When she asked what more was needed to get an A, her teacher said that in order to get an A they would have needed to have won a Pulitzer Prize.
Have you ever heard such a ridiculous answer? This asinine response from a teacher in a notable private school that flaunts a tuition of $25.000.00 per year.


6 comments:
That is OUTRAGEOUS!
Now what? What a way to turn off a writer.
Bonnie
I agree with Bonnie.
This teacher sounds like my old english teacher---no explination on why I got the grade I did, just "it could be better"
You're kidding, right? This is fiction, right? What?
I'm an educator and I've never understood why there are teachers who refuse to give "A"s. If only more would work so hard not to give an "F".
No, It's the truth, the whole truth and noting but the truth!
Cameron doesn't want to say anything else to her for fear of repercussion.
I hate this attitude toward grading. It's so ridiculous and is just plain cruel to students. A student who excels should be given a grade that reflects that. Our job as teachers isn't to teach our students that sometimes they will get slapped in the face when they do good work. Ugh. How completely annoying! Is there any way for Cameron to appeal the grade?
Post a Comment