Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Teendom:The Cameron Chronicles




Slice of Life #18






The thing that they never tell you about teens, the thing you got to learn, is that no matter what was bothering them yesterday, they will get over, and find something else to bother them today.

Well, Cameron did get her hair cut, and she was upset; she even cried. At first I started to tell her how great it looked, and that I was surprised that he was able to salvage that much. Not that she would have listened, but I was going to tell her anyway.
Then I was going to tell her how sophisticated and lady like she looked, not like the please-help-I don't-know-what-to-do-with-my-hair-teen who entered my house a few days ago. She probably would not have appreciated that, so I just said nothing.
And it worked.
Instead of having to watch her whine, and mope, she took to cuddling up to me and lingering longer in the mirror than someone who detests their new look. That night she carefully wrapped and pinned it in preparation for bed.
The next morning she sidled up to me( sidled is my new favorite word thanks to girlgriot)
and asked,"who is Beverly Peele?"
"She is a model," I replied looking at her quizzically,"why?"
"Oh nothing," she said as she sauntered away, stopping to rearrange her bangs in the mirror, and rejoin her facebook conversation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your final paragraph really sticks it!

Rearranging her bangs and resuming Facebook Activity... love it!

Rachel said...

Teenagers only care about what their friends think. If they approve, all is right with the world. Nice story.

Ray

http://diamondsintherough.tumblr.com

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

I have five children and 14 grandchildren ... kids are amazing .. it's when they become adults, and think they know it all -- that will wear you down.

I enjoyed this and will read some more later.

susan said...

Oh, it's teendom. I always get cool words wrong.

My baby got her hair done and she looked gorgeous. According to me, that is. She said it need to fall, less curl and that wouldn't happen for a day. Okay. I'm just glad she is finally taking care of hair and we didn't have to do a chop. :-)

GirlGriot said...

Beverly Peele, eh? I loved this slice (loved that you used 'sidled'), love that your decision to leave Cameron to her own devices worked out so nicely!

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger