
I remember my cousin and I listening to the standards as kids. At first it was because there was no escaping it. Sunday mornings in my house, my father would sit on the living room floor and go through the albums, inducting us into the fan club that we didn't care to be in. Other days, my uncle would gather us all around him and play games that involved singing, but it wouldn't be your typical kids songs, no, we were belting out Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. In the car on the way to and fro we would croon along with Dinah Shore, Lena Horne and Nancy Wilson. Ella Fitzgerald and Tony Bennett were high on our hit list.
Two black girls from Brooklyn jamming to the standards and a little R and B when the mood hit ( in the 80's mind you).
Today Michelle Obama hosted a jazz workshop with the Marsalis Brothers at the White House to promote art education. She said that she wants young people, including her daughters, to experience music that goes beyond the genre of hip hop. I guess that was what my parents wanted for me too. And I am glad that they did!
Click here for some real Sounds of summer
Memoir Monday is hosted by TwoWritingTeachers


1 comment:
I had a similar introduction to the standards. Both of my parents' record collections and falling asleep to the sounds of the old WNEW on the radio in the next room!
Post a Comment