Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Illiterate no More...


Homework.
The word seems to conjure different emotions for different students.
I never get the "I hate homework" comments from the industrious students: the ones who do homework well, or those who see homework as a time to sharpen their skills and knowledge.
Instead, the banishing of the nightly entertainment comes from the students who abhor toiling in the comfort of their home: the ones who do it with little effort , and the ones who most need to practice the skills and strategies taught.
I can't speak for all teachers, but the homework I assign is not irrelevant busy work. It is designed and formulated to strengthen muscles in the area of reading and writing so that students can communicate effectively, profoundly, and eloquently for the rest of their days here on earth.
Some of them may grimace and disagree, but many will corroborate with my homework assertions. So sorry, I will not succumb or capitulate to student's entreaties to abolish the twilight assignments.
This is my Confession

1 comment:

Color Online said...

Let them whine. Tomorrow, when they are adults, they'll thank the heavens for you.

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger