Saturday, March 6, 2010

Student Slicers

My students are still into the slicing. Most stories are about P.E. adventures and mishaps; the others are about teachers they don't like and the examples of what happened that day to confirm why. Nevertheless, they are writing and posting and enjoying doing it!

Post from a student:

Shut up and Let Me Drive

As I stood up from tying my shoe I took a deep breath in. I let it out. I enjoyed the moment of peace, the calm before the storm. I was ready. "Go!" yelled the coach, we all rushed forward. I felt myself being pushed forward by the surge of bodies. I saw the people in front of me, I heard the foot falls of those behind me. I kept on running. We thinned out, the sprinters in front, the walkers behind. I found myself towards the front, I kept a steady, maintainable jog. I passed the hares, those who found their sprint to be too difficult to keep up. I finished my first lap. As I began my second, I vaguely heard Coach yell out my time, I was blocking everything from my mind. I counted slowly, to keep my breathing even and to distract myself from everything else, "And.. one, and.. two, and... three, and... four." I overlapped the tortoises, those who thought they could finish by walking, "twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four." I finished my second lap. I was beginning to feel the effects of my jog, my side burned, my breath was short, and every muscle in my body burned. I ignored it, "seventy-one, seventy-two, seventy-three, seventy-four." "You've got to take a break," said one part of my mind. "Shut up and let me drive," said the other. I continued running. My third lap passed just like the other two. "Ninety-one, ninety-two, ninety-three, ninety-four," I overlapped the slowpokes, "ninety-five ninety-six, ninety-seven, ninety eight." I could see the finish line, I broke into a sprint, as fast as my worn-out body would allow me. The world turned to a blur. I crossed the finish line and stopped, but I didn't sit down, I stood tall and proud of my feat of endurance. I had never once broken stride, I never once stopped, and I had come in fifth place.

2 comments:

Nancy Cavillones said...

What a great writer that student is! I felt like I was right there, running next to him!

-C said...

What a lovely and descriptive slice from your student! The student captured the thoughts and feelings quite nicely. Bravo!

-Carrie F.

There are two kinds of people: Those who Write and those who don't

So stop by and jot down your thoughts....
Powered By Blogger